Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bali

So I'm starting a new blog. I guess to document less the rambles of my mind and more the wandering i do in life. My most recent move has been back to Bali.

My dear darling whom I met last year while working for Yayasan Bumi Sehat in Ubud, Bali, Kayla Barnes and I started a small non-profit: International Community Project.

Our Mission:

"to support sustainable community projects in developing countries. We accomplish this by implementing projects for: educational opportunities, creative endeavors, public health initiatives, community sustainability and cultural preservation. Our goal is to nurture positive environments and encourage the creative potential of all communities."

International Community Project provides support in the areas of infrastructure building, awareness and public relations, volunteer opportunities and direct funding. We help small community projects and NGOs become functioning, sustainable and successful.


So to kick off and get work started I find myself back in Bali, working in the field on quite a few projects.

Currently however, Im sitting in an over air conditioned bar that doubles as a restaurant/internet hot spot during the day. The music is quite bad and thus while working on a proposal for ICP's board I'm also browsing the web for music. What I've found to keep me on the up and up includes:

White Shoes and the Couples Company -
one of my favorite Indonesian bands that I'm sadly missing in San Francisco on the 20th. If you're around, check them out at the Make-Out Room in the Mission.

love psychedelico -
darling japanese band. japanese and english intertwined. sortof my new morning music.


and to add a little variety... the new fecal face podcast.

Last year I was living in Ubud, Bali. This time I'm calling a white house in between Sanur and Denpasar home. In my house lives Lakota, Robi, Ian, Thor and a dog named Bule. Aptly named as its a white dog and Bule is the slang term for westerner. hmmm.

the walls are all white, the backyard is filled with orchids and a lotus pond, and the stars are incredible. another thing that makes me happy is the home's proximity to the beach, which means that if im not surfing a lot then something is wrong with me.

The location allows me mobility as I am traveling around the island for a mobile education project (more info to come), going to Ubud to work with a youth center there, and starting projects in denpasar as well as sanur.

things are on the up up up and up.

No comments:

About Me